[U-Boot] [RFC] Removal of doc/README.scrapyard

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Fri Oct 24 17:09:09 CEST 2014

Hello,

I've recently been removing support for some boards and this README.scrapyard
file came up again. The file is supposed to be used to keep track of removed
boards.

The person removing a board is first supposed to fill in the blank fields in
this README.scrapyard , which are the upstream commit ID in which the board was
removed and the date at which the board was removed. Those two fields are known
only after the board removal patch was applied, thus those fields need to be
filled in later. This effectively means that the last removed board can have
those fields undefined for an extended period of time, until someone removes
another board and updates the README.scrapyard.

Only after updating README.scrapyard, one is supposed to add the board that was
removed into README.scrapyard, again with blank fields for the commit ID and
date of removal.

I wonder if we shouldn't get rid of this README.scrapyard. Personally,
I don't find much value in it ; if I am looking for some ancient board,
I just do git log -p and search for whatever I need.

What are your opinions on removing this file altogether ?

Best regards,
Marek Vasut