[U-Boot] U-Boot stuck after relocation attempt on MX51 board

Benoît Thébaudeau benoit.thebaudeau.dev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:01:24 CET 2015

Hi Dave,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:19 PM, DaveKucharczyk
<david.kucharczyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Benoît Thébaudeau-2 wrote
>> Also, check the CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE of your board. From your log, I'm
>> wondering if it's not set too high, resulting in an overlap of the
>> pre- and post-relocation addresses occupied by your binary in the
>> 256-MiB case.
>
> BINGO!!! Good catch Benoît, thank you. I changed it from 9FF80000 to
> 9F000000 and now it boots.
>
> Looking at the original log...it relocated 90KB above text base. Not quite
> enough room...
> --------
> U-Boot code: 9FF80000 -> 9FFA6840  BSS: -> 9FFD944C
> .
> Relocating to 9ff96000, new gd at 9fe55ed0, sp at 9fe55eb0
> ------

You're welcome.

> On a side note, how involved would it be to convert to 2015.01? I've already
> ported 3 boards for 2014.07. Will everything I've done work perfectly fine
> with 2015.01?

You will probably have to make a few adjustments, but that should not
be too heavy. There have been many changes in the infrastructure of
U-Boot lately, mainly revolving around the integration of Kconfig,
Kbuild and the driver model. At worst, you should have to upgrade your
config / make / maintainers files, and maybe adjust your code for a
few changes in the driver APIs. To have an idea:
http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=history;f=board/freescale/mx51evk;hpb=refs/tags/v2014.07;hb=refs/tags/v2015.01

Best regards,
Benoît