[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2016.09 is released

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Sep 12 18:21:28 CEST 2016

Hey all,

I've released v2016.09 and it's now live on git and FTP and ACD (along
with PGP sig file).

To repeat some of the highlights from the rc releases:
- More DM work (MMC, of-platdata for size constrained instances, etc)
- Lots and lots of architecture / SoC / Platform updates: x86, rockchip,
  sunxi, TI, NXP/FSL, Tegra, Zynq, uniphier
- mkimage cleanups
- More test.py updates, vboot now a testcase
- Secure boot work on both ARM and PowerPC.
- PSCI updates
- MAKEALL is gone, buildman is for use by all
- We now have xtensa support
- DT overlays
- More Kconfig migration
- Some NFS fixes

Note that in some cases you may see a message like:
CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [xxxxxxxx,yyyyyyyy]
and there's good and bad news here.  What had been a debug print (and so
off basically) is now a regular message.  So there's no new problems,
just problems that are now visible and we're working on fixing.  Some of
these were solved during the cycle but some of them still need some more
discussion or just a decision being made (so, that's on me).

Another thing I'd like to call out, and ask for a little help with too
is automated testing.  The framework in test/py/test.py can be used on
real hardware and Stephen Warren has been doing a good job having things
run on Tegra boards.  You can see his scripts here[1].  I've setup
locally some of my boards (some TI, RPi3, A20-OLinuXino-Lime2) and I'm
looking at adding more still, so long as I can update U-Boot in a way
that does not involve the console.  You can see my scripts here[2] and
I'm cleaning things up and pushing them back up to Stephen.  But there's
always more to do and test.  Is anyone else out there running this on
real hardware, or would like to set this up?  Has anyone out there
gotten this hooked up with qemu?

As always, I know I'm missing pointing out a few things that I should
point out and would encourage folks to chime in if there's anything they
would like to highlight.

Thanks again everyone!

[1]: https://github.com/swarren/uboot-test-hooks
[2]: https://github.com/trini/uboot-test-hooks