[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2017.09-rc4 released

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Tue Sep 5 08:55:48 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

On 5 September 2017 at 03:55, Paul Barker <pbarker at toganlabs.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> It's release day and v2017.09-rc4 is out.  It's a week until release
>> day.  Please let me know if you know of any regressions, thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Tom
>
> I looks like u-boot v2017.09-rc4 is still unable to boot Linux on
> Raspberry Pi devices. I've just tested this now on a Raspberry Pi
> (original Model B) and confirmed that it gets stuck at "Starting
> kernel ...". This was also broken in v2017.07 but it's a regression
> against v2017.05 where this was working. For reference see
> https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2017-August/300857.html and
> replies.
>
> I don't think we have a root cause or a full solution yet, but
> re-enabling CONFIG_OF_EMBED in all Raspberry Pi defconfigs should at
> least give us a workaround for now that will allow Linux to boot. Is
> this something we can get into the v2017.09 release at this stage? If
> so I'm happy to send the patch and do the testing.

Yes I think that is better than what we have now. Please go ahead.

I did plan to try to root-cause this, and Stephen Warren gave some
hints, but so far I am in the dark.

One problem I have is that booting raspbian from U-Boot leaves me
without a working keyboard/mouse/ethernet, which seems different to
the problem you have. I am not sure whether this is a device tree
problem or something else.

Regards,
Simon