[U-Boot] QSPI "sf probe ...", "sf read ..." on Altera SoC FPGA

Jason Rush jarush at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 21:09:08 UTC 2018

On 1/6/2018 1:29 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 01/06/2018 07:46 PM, Jason Rush wrote:
>> On 1/6/2018 9:42 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:

<snip>

>> There was a minor upstream change to one of the files since I submitted v4 of my
>> cadence device-tree patchset, so I rebased and resent the patchset as a v5.  I
>> included everyone that was originally involved with the patches and added a CC
>> for Marek.
>>
>> This is only the patchset for the device tree changes for the cadence qspi driver,
>> Simon will still have to add the patch that fixes the cache invalidation bug in the
>> cadence driver.
> Sigh, can we get a single patchset out which fixes the problem ?
>
> I mean, if I understand this correctly, you're all addressing one single
> problem, but with two patchsets, yes ?

Well... The one issue we're trying to fix is that the cadence QSPI hasn't worked on
the socfpga arch since late 2016.  However, it's two different issues that have caused
this bigger problem:

1. The indaddrtrig register was being programmed with an incorrect value for socfpga
as the result of assuming it should be programmed with the same address as the
ahbbase address.  This issue is resolved by adopting the Linux DT bindings, which has
an independent setting for the indaddrtrig register so the register can be set correctly
on all architectures.  Plus it aligns the DT between u-boot and Linux.

2. The cadence driver was modified at one point to use the bouncebuf functions to fix
an issue on a TI architecture that expected, where if I recall correctly all reads except
the last have to be 32-bit reads.  However, since the bouncebuf was designed for DMA
transfers, it invalidates the data cache after reading, but since the cadence is using cpu
transfers the newly read data is thrown away when the cache is invalidated.  This issue
is resolved by reverting the commit that introduced using the bounce buffer for read
operations, which according to Vignesh don't cause any issues to the TI architecture.

So, would you prefer two patchsets or one that fixes both issues?  If you'd like just one,
Simon can collapse my patches along with his revert patch into a single patchset and
resubmit.

-- Jason