[U-Boot] GCC 7.x vs. C++ comments

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed May 9 11:48:28 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 01:38:37PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> In message <20180509111627.GD12235 at bill-the-cat.ec.rr.com> you wrote:
> >
> > > What’s your preferred solution:
> > > 	(a) change these comments
> > > 	(b) change our Makefiles to let GCC know that we are compiling gnu99/C99?
> > >
> > > Neither solution is too appealing to me, so I am asking...
> >
> > Lets go with (b) which I guess what a more modern toolchain defaults to
> > anyhow.  Thanks!
>
> I disagree.  UI-Boot always discouraged the use of C++ comments, see
> for example bullet # 5 at [1]. We should clearly fix the comments,
> please.
>
> [1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Coding

We should go and update [1] to note some special exemptions to the rule.
I see you missed out on the SPDX thread over here:
https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-May/327544.html and repeat
myself, I see it as more worthwhile to (a) follow the kernel in this
area (for both tooling and consistency and ease of development for our
overlapping community) (b) save space (in just about every conversion we
went from 2 lines to 1 line).  Thanks!

--
Tom