[U-Boot] White space cleanup

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Nov 8 15:18:10 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 09:39:44AM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> the recent issue with CR / CRLF sequences in a shell script tiggered
> me to hae a closer look at such issues in other areas, and I
> dicovered a lot of formal coding style issues like C++ comments,
> trailing white space, leading white space (indentation not by TABs),
> excessive blank lines, trailing blank lines which I would like to
> clean up.
>
> However, this affects more than 500 files, so it might cause a large
> number of mege conflicts with other changes.
>
> When would be a good point of time in the release cycle to submit
> such a patch series?

Lets see.  For '//' style comments, while I personally can't bring
myself to use them, most of what we have today is generated files or
external project files.  Given that the Linux kernel no longer complains
about it (and per the last thread about them, they're C99 comments, and
that's 20 years ago now), it's probably best to just say they're
discouraged but also that:
	writel(1, DDRPHY_CONFIG_BASE + 0x134); // DATA0_REG_PHY_USE_RANK0_DELAYS
is at least as readable if not more so than:
	writel(1, DDRPHY_CONFIG_BASE + 0x134); /* DATA0_REG_PHY_USE_RANK0_DELAYS */

which goes past 80 chars wide, rather than sticking to 80.

For the whitespace stuff, whenever is fine, being careful of stuff we
sync from elsewhere rather than is our own.  Whitespace changes there
make future resync harder.  Thanks!

--
Tom