Using gerrit or github for review?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jul 13 21:54:09 CEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 09:45:27PM +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 13.07.20 20:25, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > At present U-Boot uses the mailing list for patch review. What do
> > people think about trying out geritt or github for this? I'd be
> > willing to do a trial with the -dm mailing list.
> >
> > My idea is that patman would email out the patches and also upload
> > them to one of these systems. With geritt, emails are sent every time
> > there is a review, but for github I'm not sure.
> >

> If I remember well, we already had this discussion some years ago. One major
> point against these tools is the workflow for most developers here, that is
> mainly mail-centric (and shell driven instead of browser driven). Mailing
> list allows to everybody to add contribute, and patches with their history
> is archived in patchwork. Patches can be loaded and applied with shell tools
> (pwclient). I would prefer to add some missing features to patchwork (for
> example, automatic support for patches version) else to switch to another
> tool that is just browser driven.

With respect to patchwork tooling, there's more stuff possible these
days than a while ago I believe.  I got
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/patchwork/2020-July/006672.html as a
reply the other day and I need to go script that in to my automatic
state updater as the problem was how v1/v2/etc stuff hashes the same
sometimes, but that'll fix it.

--
Tom