Thoughts on code line length

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jun 1 15:23:51 CEST 2020

Hey all,

As I see tech sites are noting that Linus has changed the kernel's code
style to no longer be so strict about 80 character line width, I figured
I should say something here given how much we follow the Linux kernel
anyhow.

Given that we've long told people to ignore checkpatch for dts files,
and to not split error messages anyhow, and that it's more about "does
the code read well", I think this is a good change that we'll pick up
with our next re-sync of checkpatch.pl.  I figured over the weekend I
would grab Simon's checkpatch series today, but I'll wait a day or two
and sync it to v5.7 release before grabbing.

I think this is a good change overall given the amount of times I've had
to reduce readability slightly (and use odd variable names) to not
exceed 80 characters on a line by just a few.

--
Tom