How to fix: partition (SPL) size alignment incorrect

Miquel Raynal miquel.raynal at bootlin.com
Fri Jun 12 09:13:42 CEST 2020

Hi Adam,

Adam Ford <aford173 at gmail.com> wrote on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 21:49:12 -0500:

> I am doing some spot checks on the da850evm which boots from SPI.  It
> seems OK, however, when I run the mtdparts, I expect to see the
> partition map of the SPI flash.
>
> Unfortunately, I get the following error:
>      nor0: partition (SPL) size alignment incorrect
>
> Currently, it's setup as follows:
> CONFIG_MTDPARTS_DEFAULT="mtdparts=spi0.0:32k(SPL),480k(u-boot),64k(u-boot-env),7552k(kernel-spare),64k(MAC-Address)"

It's not very clear to me what the error might be but did you consider
the fact that the block size could be 64k instead of 32k?

> This used to work, but I was hoping someone might have an idea on what
> I can do to address it.  I haven't had a chance to bisect yet.

If you're still testing with the same board, the above proposal is
unlikely to fix your issue.

Also, it might be worth adding traces in cmd/mtdparts.c to see whether
it is the start (unlikely, would mean there is a serious issue here),
or the end of the partition which is the culprit.

Cheers,
Miquèl