incompatible device trees between u-boot and linux

François Ozog francois.ozog at linaro.org
Mon Aug 30 13:39:33 CEST 2021

Hi,

Trying to respond to a U-Boot digest manually, please accept apologies
as I don't know how to do it properly...

>On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 06:43:23PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:

>> > Ah, whoops. Should have been "(as much as it can be used)" because it
>> > does get #included instead in some cases, for reasons.

>> > DT is ABI is hardware description and OS-agnostic has been the rule for
>> > 10+ years. If that's no longer the case, can someone please tell me?
>>
>> So if Michael's board with DT provided by U-Boot doesn't work for some
>> stupid reason like "Linux expects the pcie node to be under /soc", or
>> "Linux wants all PCIe BARs of a RCIEP ECAM to be spelled out in the
>> 'ranges' property, because it's too dumb to detect them itself", or
>> something like that, I've got no argument against that, let's go ahead
>> and resync U-Boot with Linux.
>>
>> But "DT is ABI is hardware description" is a pretty vague truism that
>> does not actually help here.
>
>I'm saying that because it's what's been said for what feels like 10+
>years. I don't want to think how many countless hours have been spent
>on that point at conferences over the years. It's not even a Linux
>thing. I would swear you can (or could, unless it got broken) take the
>same DTB for some platforms and boot Linux or FreeBSD or some other BSD
>or maybe even VxWorks and it works.

I cannot agree more.
For historical reasons in the embedded market, the product maker was
the board maker, the distro producer and the firmware producer. That
led to a situation where the Linux kernel developper was stating the
hardware description and that led to...problems. The best analogy I
have to describe how wrong this is: As a French driver, my Device Tree
description about the car is that the steering wheel is on the left
hand side of the car; when entering an English car, I just complain
that the wheel is not where it should be.
Now the value chain is going more "mature" and your may end up booting
a Fedora IoT edition on a bunch of platforms that have been designed
to boot any distro; and the Trusted Applications may come from the OEM
and not the board maker.

Organizing the software value chain along side of the hardware value
chain (Silicon provider, SoM provider, Carrier provider, Integrator,
Car manufacturer for instance) need DT technology and lifecycle
re-boot. (softwsystem up firmware such as Trusted Firmware, boot
firmware such as U-Boot and operating systems)

Some elements of discussion can be found here:
https://linaro.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DTE/overview
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CLkhLRaz_zcCq44DLGmPZQFPbYHOC6nzPowaL0XmRk0/edit?usp=sharing

If we take the https://www.solid-run.com/arm-servers-networking-platforms/honeycomb-workstation/
board as an example to stay on NXP SoCs: what is the ideal way to deal
with device tree should we start from a blank sheet?

A key element are SerDes pins: from a SoC perspective they can be made
PCI lanes or Ethernet lanes. This is chosen by the board vendor. An
operating system should never manage the SerDes, it will see either
the PCI lanes or the Ethernet port (not exactly true yet because of
DPAA2 - but let's keep it high level). It is the responsibility of the
firmware to actually match the SoC configuration with board layout
(PCI slot, PCI device, Ethernet port).

In my mind, the ideal situation is: The board vendor takes the SoC DT
as input and applies fixups (at design time or runtime) to produce the
board DT. The board DT should be independent from the firmware stack
(Coreboot, TF-A+U-Boot, TF-A + LinuxBoot) and the booted OS: it is
just describing the hardware!!!
Firmware elements can still apply fixes at runtime: TF-A role is to
pass detected DRAM, U-Boot may have a parameter (saved as U-Boot
variable) to define active cores and ensures the DT is fixed up to
match that desire, OP-TEE can expose the amount of Secure DRAM it has
carved out through FF-A API.