[ELDK] How to make network alive

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 28 13:40:33 CET 2009

Dear "J.H.Kim",

In message <3a9e3d730910280224n61dc1b8et8c8431ad658e0ca1 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I made jffs2 root file system, which is from ELDK4.2 ramdisk image, as
> ELDK manual shows.
> I installed the image in my board (AT91SAM9260).
> After kernel is booted, the prompt appears.
> But network device eth0 is not set.

You can configure it either using the Linux kernel's IP autoconfig
feature (which is what we document in the manual), or manually using
ifconfig, or from some startup script.

> I added my eth0 setting in /etc/network/interfaces file.

/etc/network/interfaces is only relevant in a few Linux distributions
(Debian based), and requires a corresponding set of shell scripts
which get run by the init system.

> But result was same. when I do "ifconfig", only local loopback device appears.

This is to be expected. You don;t have a Debian distribution running.

> How can I set eth0 alive in ELDK root filesystem?

The probably easiest way is to use the autoconfig by passing the
parameters on the kernel command line, as documented in the manual.
Please see http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/Manual