[U-Boot] TQM860L_config: u-boot.lds:76 cannot move location counter backwards

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Dec 3 21:12:44 CET 2011

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Anatolij Gustschin wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:47:47 -0500 (EST)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > > Top of tree:
> > > -> git describe
> > > v2011.09-1259-g7708d8b
> > > -> eldk-switch -r 4.2 ppc_8xx
> > > Setup for ppc_8xx (using ELDK 4.2)
> >
> >   i'm sure someone will yell at me for this question as well, but
> > where does one find "eldk-switch"?  i have a fully updated git clone
> > of uboot and there is no such script (which is what i assume i'm
> > looking for).
>
> eldk-switch is internally used script, it is not distributed with
> U-Boot since its purpose is to configure environment in preparation
> for building using desired ELDK version.
>
> You don't need this script. You can setup environment i. e. by
> running
>
> $ export ARCH=powerpc
> $ export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_8xx-
> $ export PATH=<your-eldk-root-dir>/usr/bin:$PATH
>
> To check if the environment is set correctly you can try to run
> installed cross gcc, i.e. run:
>
> ${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc -v
>
> More info is available in ELDK documentation, i. e. [1]

  um, my understanding for the need of that script (or its equivalent,
which i assume is just to switch to the git 4.2 branch), is to avoid
this issue:

  http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/eldk/2011-November/002052.html

which is *precisely* what i ran into, so i'm assuming i need to back
off to v4.2. unless that issue has been addressed already in the ELDK
toolchain development branch but i didn't see any git commit that
referred to it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca