[U-Boot] u-boot boot process is broken, how do i recover?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu Apr 4 11:17:34 CEST 2013

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 10:18:15 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni

> On Marvell hardware, you can send a different U-Boot using the serial
> port, even if the on-flash U-Boot is broken. Have a look at
> tools/kwboot.c in the mainline U-Boot sources. It uses the serial port
> to send using the Xmodem protocol, a new U-Boot payload to the Kirkwood
> SoC.

Depends on the SoC. I am the proud owner of a Wireless Space which, due
its Kirkwood SoC's revision, cannot recover through UART even though
kirkwoods normally can. Not to mention my ED Mini V2, which has orion,
with no UART recovery at all.

I did not find if MV88F1155 has UART recovery.

Also, UART recovery requires having a working U-boot image file. JPT, do
you have a working (pristine) U-Boot for your ReadyNAS, or can you get
one from Netgear?

> Best regards,
>
> Thomas

Amicalement,