[U-Boot] u-boot boot process is broken, how do i recover?

JPT j-p-t at gmx.net
Thu Apr 4 12:21:43 CEST 2013

Am 04.04.2013 11:17, schrieb Albert ARIBAUD:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 10:18:15 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>
>> On Marvell hardware, you can send a different U-Boot using the serial
>> port, even if the on-flash U-Boot is broken. Have a look at
>> tools/kwboot.c in the mainline U-Boot sources. It uses the serial port
>> to send using the Xmodem protocol, a new U-Boot payload to the Kirkwood
>> SoC.

mh, there is no kwb* (or kw?b*) neither in the netgear sources nor in
stock uboot-1.14

> Depends on the SoC. I am the proud owner of a Wireless Space which, due
> its Kirkwood SoC's revision, cannot recover through UART even though
> kirkwoods normally can. Not to mention my ED Mini V2, which has orion,
> with no UART recovery at all.
>
> Also, UART recovery requires having a working U-boot image file. JPT, do
> you have a working (pristine) U-Boot for your ReadyNAS, or can you get
> one from Netgear?

I've got both, source and image.
The first thing I did was reading the ROM to disk :)
1,5M 2013-02-10 20:18 mtd0.uboot.img
128K 2013-02-10 20:18 mtd1.uboot-env.img
6,0M 2013-02-10 20:19 mtd2.kernel.img
2,2M 2013-02-10 20:19 mtd3.initrd.img
  89M 2013-02-10 20:17 mtd4.jffs2.img

There is a UART_boot_file.zip included in the source:
32000  2008-06-05 19:35   bb11223344556677_boot.bin

There are a lot of changes in the netgear uboot source.
I don't know where to start.
I cannot find your mail where you wrote about searching for something... o.O

Well, I think easiest would be to try loading the image through serial.
Should I start with this?
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,4640,4640,quote=1

Thanks,

Jan