[U-Boot] TFTP timeouts, i.mx fec problem?

Ruud Commandeur RCommandeur at clb.nl
Fri May 31 12:16:30 CEST 2013

Stefano, Wolfgang,

Thanks for your comments. The CONFIG_ARP_TIMEOUT was not set, so it will
take the default of 5 seconds. This is also the time it takes for the
first timeout. If I add a

	#define CONFIG_ARP_TIMEOUT    200UL

to my board config, I see the ARP request succeed after 2 to 4 attempts.
I always see only one ARP request in Wireshark. Apparently it takes 200
- 600 msecs for the phy to wake up and respond (as Wolfgang assumes as
possible and very plausible cause).

Increasing the ARP_TIMEOUT to some high value like 15000UL has no use,
the 5 seonds tftp timeout comes in earier and a new ARP request is sent
(which is answered as before).

So adding this timeout define will speed things up, and I guess I should
either also increase the CONFIG_NET_RETRY_COUNT or set the ARP_TIMEOUT
to 400 to prevent exceeding the retry count.

But of course it would be nicer to fix the actual cause. I could try and
find a way to keep the phy alive or at least try to proof that it is the
phy (the LAN8720A) that causes this. To be continued...

Regards,

Ruud