[U-Boot] TFTP timeouts, i.mx fec problem?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 31 20:56:19 CEST 2013

Dear Stefano,

[Joe added to Cc: list]

In message <51A8C479.6010309 at denx.de> you wrote:

> > This means (in this case) that miiphy_restart_aneg() is called. And here
> > the phy gets a software reset and autonegotiation restart command, wich
> > can take up to 500 msces according to the datasheet. So when we would
> > like to send out the 1st ARP request, the phy is busy with restart and
> > negotiation. If I skip these commands, any tftp transfer is fast as
> > lightning! About 150 msecs between pressing enter and the completion of
> > a small file (68 bytes).
> >
> > Of course, re-initialisation of all parts for each transfer sounds like
> > the safest solution.
>
> We discussed this issue many times, yes.

I still wonder if we should not be able to wait until the PHY has
complete auto-negotiation, before we send the first packet.  There
should be some status bit available we could poll for, rathr than
relying on a delay (which will always have to be tuned for the worst
case)?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from a recent meeting:   "We are going to continue having these
meetings everyday until I find out why no work is getting done."